Tuesday, January 6, 2015

Ahhhhh...the souks part 2

 Imagine an entire block of buildings devoted to fabric, haberdashery (thanks for the excellent word Patricia!), laces, trims, tassels (the size of your head), and any known fabric in existence on this earth. Yes it may sound like I am exaggerating, but I am not.
I wish that these images I am posting would do this justice in the least but you will just have to imagine with me. 
Patricia took me to buy fabric for the workshop at the Sadu House on Sunday, after the brilliance of the Mubarakiya souk with Lisa. So the color and vibrancy just seemed to continued throughout the day. The section of town we went to escapes me, but it was a series of long, narrow buildings that were a maze of connections, each with small cubes of shops lining their interiors. In each was the most amazing fabrics, upholstery for royalty (or so it seemed), trims handstitched on velvet with metal embroidery floss. Dupioni silk dyed in at least a dozen shades for each color on the color wheel. All in all it was an amazing experience of textures, color and space. And if I thought more of it, I would have done a better job at photographing it - but as it was, my eyes kept wandering from stall to stall so much that I forgot about my camera!                                  

No comments:

Post a Comment