Tuesday, January 6, 2015

Ahhhhh....the souks part 3

I had to break up the blog on the souks, because each was so different. The final one from my souk-fest on Sunday was Youm Al Bahar - possibly translated "Day's gone past by the sea."
The entrance to the market greets you with the images of the Emir and crown Prince, I think setting the stage for the focus on the heritages of Kuwait that this market holds. The stalls in the markets were joined together, forming a semi circle of sorts. Each one seemed to be pretty different from the other. You have a model ship builder, who created a variety of sizes of boats for you enjoyment. (I am still trying to remember the name of the traditional Kuwaiti boats, even though I know Patricia has told me at least 5 times.)
A leather sandal maker, box builders, mat and basket sellers, and more.

One of the main interested seemed to be the selling of a variety of dioramas. Each unique in their depictions and creativity (which extends to some very interesting interpretations of scale and form....).

I did enjoy seeing the Kuwaiti Heritage Library as a cornerstone of the market, given the ability to read Arabic, I would have liked to have seen what books they had and when they were made.

The setting at night, the children playing on the playground in front of the shops, seemed to create a great sense of the market, and lent and air of tradition and preservation to it all.




No comments:

Post a Comment